Ecodrum™ Benefits & Features
Any animal production operation (e.g.: swine, sheep, cattle, poultry, equine) produces daily mortalities due to weather, natural causes, accidents and/or illnesses. In most countries, the use of incineration or animal-derived protein from on-farm mortalities is not longer acceptable ways to dispose of dead animals and other alternatives are rather costly.
In principle, the Ecodrum™ can be used to manage any type of animal mortality. However, given the characteristics of the Ecodrum, due consideration should be given by the farm manager to decide whether or not the Ecodrum™ suits his or her operation.
- Although the vessel has been developed having the swine industry in mind, the Ecodrum™ can
be used by any type of animal production as long as the maximal daily capacity is respected.
- In the case of cattle and equine operations, the Ecodrum™ can be used to dispose of maternity
mortalities, but keep in mind that many countries require special permits for cattle
- Meat transformation plants and butchers may want to consider the use of the Ecodrum™ as an environmentally sound way to dispose leftover by-products resulting from their plant operations.
Models and Capacity
The models of the Ecodrum™ currently available:
- Model 260 - daily capacity of 300 lbs of mortality per day.
- Model 360 - daily capacity of 475 lbs of mortality per day.
- Model 460 - daily capacity of 625 lbs of mortality per day.
- Model 560 - daily capacity of 750 lbs of mortality per day.
- Model 660 - daily capacity of 950 lbs of mortality per day.
The sizes and capacity of both Ecodrum™ models have been designed based on maximum amount of mortality that can be consistently processed into compost at optimal time. Weekly average mortality at a farm under normal operation has also been taken into consideration for the design.
Benefits of Ecodrum™
Ecodrum™ is a cost effective composter designed to continuously manage farm animal mortality, manure, and bedding recovery in an environmentally sound way. In North America, incineration is becoming too expensive, in some areas burial isn't an option, and rendering is expensive and comes with some bio-security concerns.
The Ecodrum™ was designed for large scale animal production areas and it offers the following benefits:
- Reduces Odor and disease-causing organisms
- Eliminates ground and water contamination
- Allows for cold-weather composting
- Hides animal decomposition from public view
- Producers a compost that can be as a soil enhancement
Features that makes us a Leader in the Industry
- The drum is constructed of non-corrosive polyethylene material for durability and long life compared to mild steel drums.
- Insulated with polyethylene foam for structural integrity and year round composting.
- Easy to operate control box placed on the side of the Ecodrum™ for easy access by producer.
- Forward and reverse switch to correct a recipe inside the drum.
- Manual and Automatic setting switch for adding additional rotations.
- Our system has a proven Air System that provides a positive air flow, drawing air through the mix, an essential part of composting, thus ensuring no need for a bone screen.
- A newly developed discharge system that ensures composted material is discharging so you always have room in the drum.
- Many steel drums turn on a chain system, The Ecodrum™ has rollers running the course of the drum, ensuring you have no stress on the drum and requiring less energy to turn the drum.
- Safety ladders are located on both sides of the loading door. All door hardware is all chrome and safety pins are standard on all Ecodrum™ drums.
- Ecodrum™ uses a tapered door system that seals from leakage. The drum has built in rain drains so moisture never builds up on the drum or in the doorway.
- All drums come with Analog temperature probes; however, we do offer as an option; PLC controller and wireless temperature sensors.
- We offer manure end users, hopper delivery systems for easy transfer of materials to the drum.
Producers Advantage Compared to Other methods of Composting
- The Ecodrum™ system uses approximately half the shavings of Bin Systems.
- Our drum eliminates ground leaching and contamination often associated with Bin systems.
- You can re-use up to 50 % of the compost existing an Ecodrum™ system back into the drum with proper moisture being maintained.
- Compared to incineration, and bin systems an Ecodrum™ system reduces the amount of energy required to manage the system.
- Neighbor friendly, the Ecodrum™ is an out of sight process, enclosed so that you have no scavengers, have significantly less odor than bin or incinerations systems and gives you peace of mind in bio-security at the farm.
- Proper compost needs nitrogen, carbon, moisture and air. An Ecodrum™ system is the only system that ensures proper compost by adding air; others only simply rot and turn.
- Once the compost is over 131 F, it kills Avian Influenza within 8 minutes according to the
Operating an Ecodrum™ System
- The Ecodrum™ System, is a continuous flow process, and is easy to operate, and once set will rotate automatically 3 to 4 times a day, moving product from the loading door and moving it
forward in the drum with each rotation. Ecodrum™ draws oxygen through the drum with each rotation and exhausts it in the front of the drum; this provides the essential oxygen for microbial activity in the drum.
- The size of the drum which is 5 foot in diameter was specifically designed to ensure the correct amount of oxygen, and enable a producer to maximize their level of mortality. The construction and fabrication of the drum, ensures the producer that product will move freely through the drum, without being impacted since it is corrosion free.
- The mixture in the drum, of nitrogen, carbon, moisture and oxygen and following a recommended recipe will result in temperature ranging from 131 F to 160 F. A temperature probe that can be easily read is located on the second section of the drum and on larger drums two are located so you can read and monitor the temperature daily.
- The Ecodrum™ allows the user to correct the recipe, by changing the direction of the drum, to add more bulking material. However, on our larger models, we have a secondary loading door to adjust a recipe.
- The process itself usually takes between 4 and 14 days depending on what is being composted.
- The Ecodrum™ exist system is a 20" diameter opening where product discharges. On an Ecodrum™ system, we have designed a discharge process that will move composted material quickly to accommodate more room in the drum.
- Ecodrum™ has simplified composting, and created a management tool that reduces labor and easy to operate and provides safe compost.
For more information, download our brochure!